Friday, March 7, 2014

Is there something on my face?



We have all arrived safely in Iceland.  It's is 7pm and we are already in bed.  The flight here and most of the day was pretty uneventful.  I think we are all in a pretty deep jet lag phase which keeps conversations and activities to a minimum.  We arrived at 645 this morning.  Customs was a straight breeze as was collecting our bags as C and SC had already snagged ours since they arrived 10 mins before us.  Our guy from SAD rentals was waiting to shuttle us off to a remote location to pick up our fancy Rav4 that I have named Bessie.  We shared the shuttle over to SAD with 4 college students from Wisconsin.  We actually realized there were tons of Americans in Iceland right now courtesy of the travelzoo special.

While at the car rental place, I had to use the bathroom due to my large consumption of H2O and our quick hustle through the airport.  I asked the happy fellow of SAD if there was a toilet I could use.  And he said yes - out that door [gesturing towards the garage] and all the way at the back.  I glanced out into the huge dreary dimly lit airplane hanger sized garage that had the far rear door open to the freezing (literally freezing) cold icelandic fields.  I looked at SC and whistfully said, well, we'll see if i make it back alive, and boldly opened the paper thin door of the trailer door and marched into an area no female had stepped before.  I was walked all the way to the end of the garage and met eyes with two of the mechanics, who were wondering the same things I was - Who is this?  She doesn't belong here.  Is she a vigilant killer like Dexter?  Why is it so cold?

As I ventured further into the auto cave I noticed the icelandic pinups adoring the walls and felt even more out of place.  I found my way to the last corner of the hanger and found a self constructed W/C.  I manuvered the rest of the trip quite well, as should be expected for a 31 year old female, until it came to the flushing, since there was not handle, nozzle, pump, widget, etc to use to flush.   The lid of the tank was missing and a dip stick stuck out.  Too prideful to walk out and ask the mechnaics, excuse me how do you flush, I took to jiggling the dip stick all around the tank until I heard the sweet whush sound of water flowing.  Success.  I returned to the group and trugded back outside to met Bessie.

Like an good WRX driver, C popped behind the wheel and we headed off towards Reykajvik to see if we could manage an early check in at our hotel.  It was only 8am.  We took a few detours along the way (not by choice) and debated wether opting out of the tom tom was a wise decision.  We stopped once for gas and failed at getting some, found another gas station and got some and a free map from the nice cashier.  With a map in hand, we got lost a few more times before arriving at our hotel.

We shuffled into the jam packed lobby and realized there was no chance of getting a room early.  SO instead we would have to head directly to our Day 1 activity - the Blue Lagoon.  Which we were all stoked on but it is just unfortunately next to the airport that we just came from.  A heavy dose of hangry was setting in so we popped into the hotel restaurant and took advantage of the free breakfast which I don't think we were actually eligible for but no one stopped us soooooo [#bettertoaskforforgivenessthanpermission]

We shuffled back into the car and headed to the Blue Lagoon.  Two massive detours and a desperate plea to google maps on my iphone we arrived at the lagoon.  It was absolutely spectacular.  Very blue and hot.  We swam, had facials, showered, came back to the hotel, walked to dinner, and went to bed.  Sorry.  I just hit my "i must go to bed now wall and I can't think anymore therefore I won't".

Besides, a picture is worth 1000 words, so I will let the Lagoon speak for itself.  The Blue Lagoon from B's Gopro



No comments:

Post a Comment