Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Iceland?

That’s the general response I get when I say my next big personal trip will be to Iceland. 

Iceland?

Yes, Iceland. 

I mean I get it, ice is in the title and that is very off putting for most southern California’s.  I wish I could say I decided to go to Iceland because it has always been on my bucket list or that I am refining my glacier scaling skills or that I am captivated by aurora borealis.  But no, the decision went something like this –

July 2013
C: Anyone wanna go to Iceland with me?
L: Iceland in February? Ok!
B: I would be down.
SC: No response (which we treated as negative confirmation)

And that is literally how #cantsayittravelit and #icelandgames were born.

My basic deciding factors for going on a trip are, do I need a stamp from that country in my passport?  Do I have enough cash?  Do I have enough PTO?  All response = yes.  Then why not.

So team #cantsayittravelit booked a travelzoo package deal to Iceland for 4 days and then added on an additional 5 for us to tour on our own. 


Initially, we were going to rent a campervan and drive as much of the ring road as possible.  Obviously, it is a little aggressive to throw 4 people in a low budget camper van for 5 days on winter roads.  But it's the best way to see the country and be super adventurous.  Besides, C and SC have mad winter driving skills (and I like to think I do), not showering for a couple 5 days is not any different that my shower schedule at home, and using nature as a toilet just like any other camping trip, so win.  My only concern was freezing at night.  


However, this was quickly dismissed when Momma Joyce informed me you can stave off frost bite by everyone sleeping naked together.  Something about skin and body heat.  She had a practical example from a track meet in college highschool,so I was sold.  Side note, there wasn't actually naked sleeping or frost bite at the track meet they just managed to retain heat in their bare legs by piling them over each others.  Rest assured it wasn't a hooker hoe meet.  Anyways naked frost bite prevention sleeping would only be awkward for SC since he's C's brother and all.  But since that's not my problem, we forged ahead with the rental. However, that dream became rather dim as every rental place I contacted told me they didn't rent until May 1.  Apparently, road tripping in the winter in Iceland is aggressive after all.  So ended up booking hotels/hostels for our adventure from Reykjavik to Laugarvatn to Vik to Hofn and back.  


So now I am killing time working until my flight leaves for LAX at 7pm.  I totally thought I was packed and ready to go until I went to my physical therapy this morning (I suffer from weak glutes and a weak core).  This was only my 4th visit with my PT but he knew I was heading off to Iceland.  As I walked on the treadmill, he looked at me and said "Ok, I am going to go into father mode.  The best way to stay safe when traveling is being prepared and being aware. Do you have a small flashlight?"


Me: "I have a head lamp"


PT: "No you need a flashlight.  But you should pack your head lamp in you carry on so if something happens you have a hands free light"


Me: "I don't want to die"


PT: "You need a flashlight, a high powered one that clicks on from the back.  It is a defense mechanism used to blind a potential attacker. Also, ballpoint pin, preferable steel.  That hurts when thrust into a throat, more than a hand.  Oh and a magazine."


Me: "eh?"


PT runs to the wait room grabs a better homes and gardens and rolls it up.


PT: "See" hits the wall with the rolled magazine "See" hits the ground then the treadmill. "rolled up it can be used as a weapon to defend yourself.  It adds reach to your arm, can deflect someone swinging at you, and causes pain when you go for the jugular"


Me: "Dude how did you figure this out"


PT: "I take tactical defense training courses"


Straight boss. Now not only are my glutes and core getting stronger, I have the skill set to deflect an attacker and harass my roommates.  That's right roommates best be careful when walking down the hallway in the dark you may will be attacked.  Taking hide and go seek in the dark to a whole other level.  Even more awesome, when I got to work, I found these in my inbox from my PT:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lNITFdftIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVaT32b3uN0

See not only does he want me to be a better runner but he also wants me to live.

So my last task is to make a stop at REI on my way back home after work (don't worry I am leaving early) and buying a highpowered mini flashlight that turns on from the back.  With that, my pepper spray, cat like reflexes, and Internal Audit magazine, I'll be set.  Iceland doesn't know they are letting a lethal weapon into their country.  *kisses both biceps*




Completely unrelated to Iceland, I created all the formatting for this entry in html.  I am feeling like a total beast right now.  



No comments:

Post a Comment