Friday, March 8, 2013

Nuclear Zone

So Monday I will be heading to Seoul, South Korea.  Given the recent media attention, there are obviously apprehensions on traveling there.  Like any good employees MR and I collected newspaper articles and sent them to our boss expressing our concern.  Articles like this, this, and this.  Our concerns were met with the loving response:
"The new dear Leader is all bark and no bite…  There’s no security department to ask any more.  I will check with the head of security on his thoughts.
 We will continue to monitor the situation, but I would say full steam ahead at this point.  Worst case, you’ll be in the center of the “action”.  If you’re going to go, you might as well go big."
Thank you Mr. Director. Awesome, I mean if going big means nuclear radiation or being slaughtered in a hostile invasion, sign me up. YOLO, right?  But at least he was good to his word and checked with head security, who  responded with -
 "No worries at this time.  Posturing is a common occurrence as you suggest.  
Let your team know I am happy to address any specific concerns, but there is nothing that would cause us to alter our travel policy at this juncture."   
So since there is no general concern for vising South Korea, except from your average human, we are forging ahead.

That being said, I decided to do my own analysis in order to determine if I will really die this trip.  This is the conclusion I came to:
  • Radiation - Minimal.  This comes from my theory (which is loosely based on news articles and my own personal war tactics) that North Korea wants the land in South Korea.  So they won't want to nuc' the place. They will just aggressively invaded.  Nuclear warfare is aimed at the US, so if anything, we are in the better of two places.  All that being said, I don't think they actually have a weapon that could reach the continental US.  Maybe HI, which would be unfortunate because of the culinary additions they've made over the years such as shaved ice or spam burgers. 
  • Invasion - Moderate. Invasion does run the risk of us being mercilessly slaughtered during the attack.  But I am hoping that we would have a heads up before North pours into the South.  In that case, I would follow Argo and flee to the nearest Canadian Consul and take refuge until Ben Affleck comes to save me.  {Producers please note - I would also be willing to be saved by Ryan Gosling, Jim from the Office, or Gwen Stefani}  Although, our escape might be hard to pull of because I am a nervous sweater and that could give me away at the security check points.  
  • Anaphylactic shock - High.  The combo of my severe allergy to shellfish and lack of understanding of the Korean language might lead to an untimely death.
So based on my simple risk analysis, my biggest risk is due to my sad deformed body.  Therefore, I have nothing to worry about.

Seoul, I will see you Tuesday.


No comments:

Post a Comment